Shrimp & Egg Fried Rice
This fried rice recipe never fails for me. The shrimp gives the whole dish nice flavor, and you add your seasonings to taste. It's probably my husband's favorite dish that I prepare regularly. This recipe serves three, so double the amounts for company. Use a wok, if you have one.
|3||green onions, sliced|
|1||small white onion|
|2||tablespoons sesame oil|
|2||tablespoons Chinese five spice powder|
|1/3||lb. medium shrimp (frozen or raw)|
|1||garlic clove, minced|
|4||ounces mushrooms, sliced|
|4||tablespoons low sodium soy sauce|
|2||cups cooked brown rice or cooked white rice|
|1/2||cup bean sprouts|
|1/3||cup carrots, shreds|
diced red pepper
- If using frozen shrimp, defrost under cold running water, then clean, de-vein, and remove tails of shrimp. If using cooked shrimp or krab, add it when the veggies are almost done.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in wok on medium high heat. When oil is hot, add shrimp and stir-fry until pink. Then remove them from wok.
- Add garlic and white onion to wok, and after they are soft add the other veggies.
- When veggies are mostly done, move them to the sides of the wok, creating a hole of bare pan on the bottom. Pour in beaten egg. Let it scramble a bit and break it into smaller peices.
- Add rice to the wok, and return shrimp to the wok. Add the green onions, and the five price powder and soy sauce to taste. Add 1 tablespoon more oil to the rice. Stir to fry the rice and combine the seasonings. Add vegetable oil if you need more oil.