Rice Cooker Vintner’s Rice and Steamed Shrimp
The rice pilaf part of this comes from Hensperfer and Kaufmanns' Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook. I used a Sanyo Fuzzy Logic rice cooker (6 cup). The lemon and wine steams the shrimp nicely while the rice cooks.
|1||small onion, diced|
|1||dash white pepper|
|1||cup long grain white rice|
|6||thin lemon slices|
|1 1/2||bay leaves|
|1 1/4||cups chicken stock|
|1/2||cup dry white wine|
|1/2||lb raw shrimp, cleaned|
- Turn on the rice cooker to quick cook or regular cycle. Melt the butter in the cooker pan, then add onion, cook until soft. Add pepper.
- Add rice and cook until hot, about 10 minutes, stirring to evenly coat the rice.
- Place three of the lemon slices and 1/2 bay leaf on top of the rice. Add last 3 ingredients, stir to combine.
- Close lid and set rice cooker to regular rice cycle.
- Place a peice of cheesecloth in steamer basket (or spray with cooking spray). Place shrimp in basket in single layer, and top with rest of lemon and bay leaf. About 15 minutes into the cycle, place shrimp steamer basket in rice cooker. Steam shrimp until pink (but don't overcook or they will be tough.).
- Remove bay leaves and lemon slices. Serve rice with shrimp on top.